Banana oatmeal pancakes
One of our favorite things to make in the field. Easy to prep, easy to make and can be super satisfying to devour before setting out on the trails. Throw in some freshly foraged berries for a twist on this classic.
1 serving (6 small pancakes)
frypan, stove, optional: camp spatula for flipping
- 1 cup of oats
- 2 tbsp powdered coconut milk
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 ripe banana
- coconut oil for frying
- optional toppings: dried fruit, berries, nuts, chocolate chips, syrup, honey, peanut butter, etc
• Put oats in blender or food processor and blend until ground to a flour.
• Combine that oat flour with coconut milk powder and salt in a medium size ziplock freezer bag.
• Pack the banana, water, and oil (in a spill proof container) and any toppings separately.
On the trail:
• Add the water to the bag of oatmeal pancake mix.
• Slice in banana.
• Seal the bag, let the air out, then mix the batter by squishing the contents with your hands until banana and ingredients are a smooth batter. Mix with spoon if needed.
• Melt small amount of the coconut oil in the fry pan over medium heat.
• Cut off a corner of the bag and squeeze batter into pan (about 1/4 cup at a time),
• Cook pancakes on both sides until lightly golden.
• Serve with your favourite toppings
Pro tip: extra pancakes left? Save them for a lunch or snack on the trail with honey, pb or cheese