Cranberry cacao energy bars
I love making these energy bars for the long miles on the bike. I used to eat the store bought variety of energy bar but found after awhile that I wasn't enjoying the flavour and I really had to push myself to eat them. These are moist, satisfying and chalk full of energy to avoid the bonk! Plus no more one use, individually wrapped bar packaging!
Prep Time | cook time
20 minutes | 25 minutes
• 2⁄3 cup dates
• 1 cup water
• 3⁄4 cup coconut
• 3⁄4 cup oat flour
• 1 cup rolled oats
• 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
• 1⁄2 cup cacao nibs
• 1⁄2 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
• 1⁄4 cup hemp hearts
• 1 banana, mashed
• 2 tbsp maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a shallow cake pan or line with parchment paper.
2. Put water and dates in pot, over med-high heat. Bring to a boil. Take off and set aside for 10 minutes. Mash with a fork to combine water and dates to make a paste
3. Put the coconut in a dry pan over medium heat. Stir occasionally until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
4. Put the coconut, oat flour, oats, cranberries, cacao nibs, pumpkin seeds and hemp hearts in bowl. Stir. Stir in the mashed banana and maple syrup.
5. Add the date paste to the wet/dry mixture.
6. Pour onto the pan and press down to pack. It should be about 3⁄4inch thick. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Take out and cut into 20 squares. Let cool completely before removing. Wrap in foil or store in zip lock for the trail and the long miles in the saddle!