Double chocolate granola
A great take on granola with an amazing flavor! It's the raw cacao powder that makes it a hit. This nutritious and delicious cereal is a great alternative to the store bought variety and gets you going in the morning with long lasting energy for whatever adventure lay ahead.
• 6 servings
PREP TIME / COOK TIME
• 5 minutes prep / 30 minutes cook
baking sheet, parchment paper, bowl, spoon
• 3 cups organic rolled oats
• 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
• 3 tbsp hemp hearts
• 2 tbsp chia seeds
• 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
• 1 cup of toasted chopped almonds or pecans
• 1/4 cup cranberries
• Orange zest, from one fruit
• Pinch of kosher salt
• 1/2 cup organic applesauce
• 1/4 cup coconut oil (measured when solid)
• 3 tbsp raw cacao powder
• 1 cup of dark chocolate squares chopped into chunks
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients.
3. In a small saucepan combine the applesauce, coconut oil, and heat until the oil is melted. Stir in raw cacao powder until it's well combined.
4. Pour cacao mixture over oat mixture and combine the ingredients until every morsel is coated.
5. Evenly spread the oats on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to make sure it's baking evenly. Turn off the oven but let the granola dehydrate for another 10 minutes – until it’s optimally crispy.
6. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the granola to cool before adding the chocolate chunks. Store granola in jars for eating later.
7. Enjoy over yogurt, alongside fruit, with milk or snacking on the trail.