Hiker's Healthy Count Chocula
This delicious breakfast is creamy, rich, and nutty. It’s also very filling and high in calorie, so it’s great to chow down on in the morning when you need to kick-start your day. It’s also great to make at home on those cold mornings before heading out to attack the snowy trails.
Adapted from The Awesome Green
• 2 generous servings
PREP TIME / COOK TIME
• 5 minutes prep / 15–20 minutes cooking (depending on which grain you use)
Ziploc bags, large pot, stove, bowls, spoon,
• 1 cup oats + 2 cups water for cooking (or use your favorite cereal grain like steel cut, quinoa, etc, and use the appropriate amount of water for cooking)
• 1/4 cup coconut milk powder
• 2 tsp raw cacao powder
• 2 tsp brown sugar
• 2 tsp chia seeds
• 1⁄8 tsp sea salt
• 1/2 cup water
• 1-2 squares of dark chocolate, roughly chopped
• a small handful of nuts and seeds (pecan, walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds or leftover gorp)
• dried berries (cranberries, blueberries) and coconut flakes for on top
1. Mix together coconut milk powder, raw cacao powder, brown sugar, chia seeds and salt and put in a sealed Ziploc bag. Measure out your oats or cereal grain and put in another sealed Ziploc bag.
1. Cook your oats (or your favorite cereal grain)
2. Once cooked turn the heat low, and to the pot add your little bag of coconut milk, sugar, chia seeds and cacao powder, and mix with the ½ cup of water to combine. Add a little more water if too thick. Bring the mixture back up to simmer again, but don't boil.
3. Transfer into serving bowls, top with nuts, seeds, chocolate, coconut flakes, and dried berries. Serve warm. Be prepared to be filled up and energized for the long day ahead!