Spicy super hot chocolate
This recipe takes hot chocolate to the next level of flavour with the help of a few healthy ingredients. It's chalk full of good fats and you get a little kick from the ginger and cayenne. It's perfect to prepare before heading out on the chilly slopes for a midday pick-me-up or for an apres-ski evening relaxing in front of the fire.
• makes 2 mugs
PREP TIME / COOK TIME
• 2 minutes / 10 minutes
Pot, whisk, 2 mugs or thermos
- 2 1/4 cups milk / non-dairy milk / prepared powdered coconut milk
- 1/4 cup cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-2 tbs of pure maple syrup
- 2 medjool dates, pit removed, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Heat milk in medium saucepan over medium-high heat until simmering.
- Add in cacao or cocoa powder and sweetener of choice; whisk until smooth.
- Add in cinnamon, ginger, turmeric and pinch of cayenne. Whisk continuously while mixture is simmering, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in coconut oil until melted.
- Pour the spicy hot chocolate into a Thermos for a trailside treat or serve immediately into two mugs to enjoy sitting in front of the fire.