Craig's thru-hiker burritos
This doesn’t have to be gourmet. But, if you have some serious hunger, these thru-hiker burritos can be really satisfying at the the end of a long day climbing in the hills. As an ultra-lite hiker Craig didn't carry extras but if you're simply camping, think about adding avocado, cilantro, jalapeno, green onion, dice tomatoes, and lime.
PREP TIME / COOK TIME
2 minutes /15 minutes
2 burritos for 1 hungry hiker
Camp stove, pot, spoon, knife
• 2 8-10″ Tortillas
• 1 package of Knorr Rice Sides (Spanish, Mexican, or Taco-seasoned rice)
• 1 tsp Olive or coconut oil
• 1/2 cup of diced Summer Sausage
• 1 packet of prepared black beans or refried beans
• 1/4 c. fresh cheese (something hard works best for longer times on the trail)
• Cholula Hot Sauce (enough to add a little flavour to taste)
• optional: for the extra through hiker calories add 1 package of crushed Ramen Noodles (no flavour packet)
• optional toppings: avocado, cilantro, jalapeno, green onion, dice tomatoes, and lime.
Pour rice, sausage, hot sauce, oil (and ramen, if using) into your cook pot and barely cover contents with water. Bring to a boil and simmer until rice is done. Remove from heat and stir in beans.
Cover pot (wrap in cozy if you use one) and wait about 5+ minutes. Don't open the lid to check on your meal until it's time!
While you are steeping your food you can cut or shred the cheese onto your tortillas. Once your rice mix is done cooking, scoop it onto into your tortillas, add toppeings, splash on some more hot sauce (if desired) and roll it up tightly to devour.